An innovative tiny home design and building education weekend, geared toward those interested in alternative small dwellings, begins January 19, 2018 in Nanaimo, B.C.
Over two days, participants will learn the "nuts and bolts" of how to design and build their very own tiny house. Included in this course, we will discuss trailer options, floor plans, legalities and living systems. Students will be walked through the steps of construction, and learn many do's and dont's that will save them grief and money.
Learn how to make your custom tiny home have a responsible ecological footprint, save energy, lower your costs, and be totally tailored to YOUR dreams and needs. The workshop is geared to all skill levels, from custom builders to those who are just beginning their tiny home research journey. We will arm you with all the information you need to avoid pitfalls and get a smooth start!
This introductory workshop is a survey of all the main basics, including:
- Pros and cons of tiny living
- The types of tiny homes, and how to choose the right one for you
- The basic “rules” of tiny homes, including sizes, lengths, and other limitations
- Your dream floor plan and how to lay it out in scale
- Technical topics like “The Big 5”, of orientation, thermal mass, insulation, glazing, and ventilation
- How to plan your project like a master, and know what to do first, second, third…
- Mechanical topics like heat, water, waste, and electricity
- Construction basics, including framing, insulation, flooring, windows and doors, roofing, plumbing
Your instructor is Kenton Zerbin from Edmonton, AB, who is much in demand as a public speaker on the joint topics of permaculture and tiny homes. Kenton incorporates engaging visual presentations, supplementary videos, and hands-on activities. Students will learn step-by-step every aspect needed to design and build their dream small space!.
The two day event will be held in Victoria on January 19-21 2018, at the Rotary Field House at 850 Third St, in Nanaimo.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS CLOSED.